Wednesday 20 May 2015

Tat-Along with Fox and Life's Little Pleasures

When I last visited Fox's blog, she had just received a ball of thread with which to make a Jan Stawasz cap for a baby in her family.  I was inspired.  I've always been curious to see what it would be like and I'd heard others having problems with the cap not curving enough so I thought it would be an interesting challenge to tackle.  I suggested I tat-along with her.

Here is the start of mine.  Tatted in size 10 DMC Babylo, a slightly soft and fuzzy thread but I thought it might be ok for this particular purpose.  Funnily enough, as I stated tatting, I realised that the crown of the cap is nearly the same as the motifs I am currently tatting on my other Jan Stawasz piece (shown in previous post).


The next round is a row of split rings which I have now started.


And life's little pleasures?  Yesterday, I found some fresh apricots at a good price at the greengrocer's.  I decided to make a small batch of apricot jam.  I get such pleasure in seeing the jam jars with their new labels, ready to be put away in a dark cupboard in the garage.  Some of it will be eaten now of course but it's so nice to get a jar out in winter and get a bit of summer sunshine in a jar.  Makes me happy.



Best wishes,
Frivole

8 comments:

  1. The jam looks good, and will checking the mystery of the none curving hat. I wondered if it was not for an adult and the curve takes place later on in the pattern. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cap is definitely made for an adult (as per the picture in the book) but I'm sure I read that other tatters still had found that it didn't curve…. but had they made it to the end? I cannot remember. Because you are right, for an adult, it needs to be flat for a fairly large area to cover the back of the head. We shall soon find out!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great start to that cap!! :)
    What a wonderful picture of the jam with that very beautiful doily!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in the thread you're using. I've not tried it before. Apricot jam... yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I like this thread because it is sold in large balls (50g) and is a lot less expensive for me to buy in the UK than Lizbeth. I also like its softer feel for some things (hankies for example).

      Delete
  4. Looks a good start for the cap, I look forward to seeing your progress,
    What can be nicer fresh homemade jam yummy
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ton ouvrage démarre superbement ! J'ai hâte de voir la suite !
    Tu as trouvé de bien jolies étiquettes pour ta confiture. Elle doit être délicieuse...
    (Je me permets de te tutoyer... Dis-moi si j'exagère ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Julie, pour les étiquettes, je les imprime moi-même: ça permet variété et personnalisation. Et pour le tutoiement, ça me fait bien plaisir au contraire! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!